What If I Want to Transfer the Provider of My Domain Name?
How to Transfer your Domain Name
At some point in time, you might find yourself in a situation where you want to transfer your existing domain name to another provider. Maybe you found a better provider to meet your growing needs or you are just unhappy with your current one. To make it easier for you to make this transition, we have compiled a list of major DNS providers with links to their explainer on how to transfer a domain name to them specifically.
But first, what is the general process of transferring my domain?
The general process no matter where you transfer your domain name will look something like this:
- Disable the registrar lock of your domain in your current web host. This is an extra layer of protection to combat unauthorized transfers of your domain, but as you do want to make a transfer, this needs to be turned off.
- Request an authorization/EPP code that is sent to your registered email. This is a password of sorts to ensure only the owner can transfer their domain.
- Set up an account/login to your soon-to-be provider and navigate to their transferring domain section. In this form you will likely have to type in your domain name and the EPP code you acquired.
- Lastly, pay up. There may be a transfer fee you will need to pay or you’ll have to make a payment in order to renew your domain with the new domain host.
How do I transfer my Domain Name to…?
- One of the biggest domain registrars on the market. They offer a wide variety of services beyond just domain registration, such as web hosting and website builders.
- Namecheap is known for its great customer service and excellent security features. They offer affordable pricing for domain registration.
- Bluehost is not only a popular domain registrar but also offers excellent web hosting services, including options for WordPress hosting.
- They have a wide selection of popular and country-specific TLDs to choose from, with a host of add-on services like web hosting, SSL certificates, and email accounts.
- Google Domains
- Google Domains is a simple, straightforward service that integrates well with other Google services.
- Hover is a straightforward, no-frills domain registrar. They offer good customer support and an easy-to-navigate website.
- HostGator is another provider that offers both domain registration and web hosting services. They have a solid reputation in the industry.
- DreamHost offers a full array of online services including domain registration, web hosting, and cloud services.
- Network Solutions
- Network Solutions offers a full suite of services including domain registration, website hosting, website design, and online marketing.
- Register.com offers a variety of services including domain name registration, website design and management, search engine optimization, online marketing campaigns, local sales leads, social media management, and call center services.
We hope this aids you in your transferring process! There are many providers to choose from so make sure you do your research to find the best web host for you and your domain.